Sunday, March 1, 2009

My name is..

I am often asked why I want to be called Jim and how I made the name. Do you know the simple reason why I altered my Korean name, WooJin, to Jim? You might be disappointed after being told that. I merely changed the last letter of my Korean name, Jin, to my current name. The idea was launched at the first day of my English camp named HEC, which stands for HanKuk University of Foreign Studies English Camp. As far as I remember, I had absolutely no idea while I was forced making an English name. Nevertheless, I made up my mind creating my new name using my Korean name - as you know, I am very spontaneous. The only idea that I can think of is Jim, honestly. That is why I have still been using the name and, likewise, I am that keen on. '-' To be honest, I can not understand why the situation, which English teachers in Korea promote their students making new names sounded English, is triggered. Personally we do not have to throw away our own name in order to study English, though they force us. Making English name is up to you, but you should know that you don't have to do it, though it might be rough to be called by foreign people. Over and above that, I don't think of that altering our names is really helpful to develop a sincere interest in learning English.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My situation almost same yours.
My English name is Nancy.
this name begin 'N'.
'N' is my Korean first name spelling^^

NaHye - Nancy

it is easy to me
simple and easy~ ^^

Jim (Woo Jin Kim) said...

I appreciate it, sister - put it as ease without serious thought. You know the simple one is far more embedded in your mind :-)